I eat a lot of coconut butter.
I do and I'm not ashamed.
My philosophy is that different foods work for different people, at different points in their life. It's all about internal, hormonal balance. And let's just say COCONUT BUTTER WORKS FOR ME! It satisfies my urge for a 'treat' (notice I didn't say sweet).
I'm human. I'm emotional and at times I still want to have a treat or celebrate with food. Because of my health issues those 'treat' items are limited and this one works. The cream portion of it feels decadent, it pairs well with fruit for a peaches and cream kinda thing. It's great with cocoa nibs, you can heat it and drizzle it, you can refridgerate it for a more candy crunch kinda feeling and you can make candy 'cup' treats of all flavors! (Those recipes are coming soon to PYM FOOD for my subscribers).
Coconut butter might very well work for you. Coconut butter and coconut oil have the same healing/nutrient properties (since they both come from a coconut). Coconut butter is the meat of the coconut and when you melt it, the oil seperates out.
Here's why coconut is so marvelous to eat:
1. Real Fats keep 'fat' off of your body
2. They contain MCTs (Medium Chain Triglycerides)- fatty acids of a medium length. Most of the fatty acids in our foods are long-chain fatty acids, but the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil are metabolized differently.They go straight to the liver from the digestive tract, where they are used as a quick source energy or turned into so-called ketone bodies, which can have therapeutic effects on brain disorders like epilepsy and Alzheimer’s. Fatty acids also metabolize slower, keep you full longer and stave off hunger.
3. Coconut CAN increase your energy expenditure to up your metabolism and caloric burn.
4. The Lauric Acid found in it helps stave off infections and bacteria.
5. It can improve cholesterol levels and lower risk of heart disease.
If you haven't given it a try yet, do so. I cook with the oil daily. It's a simple swap for butter or olive oil. You can bake with it in place of butter as well. It keeps your internal organs 'slicked' for healthy bowel movements (ok, a little graphic but true). It can multi task as WD-40 around the house, you can dab a little in your hair for shin and it works wonders on curls....and yes, you can do oil pulling as well with it (hold a spoonful in your mouth for 20 minutes and it pulls toxins form your body. Then spit).
Check out some of the treats made with coconut butter on the PYM Food Page http://www.pimpyourmat.com/page.php?n=pymfood&cat=tr